Feed on
Posts
Comments

On November 20th or 21st those who care will be coming together in dozens of cities around the world to remember transgender people who have been murdered, often brutally, just because they are different.

The event is held in November each year to honour Rita Hester, whose murder on November 28th, 1998 kicked off the “Remembering Our Dead” web project and a San Francisco candlelight vigil in 1999. Rita Hester’s murder — like most anti-transgender murder cases — has yet to be solved.

This audio tribute is our contribution to those events, recorded with the generous assistance of colleagues and local broadcasters.

To find out more about International Transgender Day of Remembrance and a vigil near you visit the web site: http://www.transgenderdor.org/

Listen Now:

Share | Embed | Download

• Vickie Davis

Beautifully done, Christine!!

Vickie (Sobbing and wiping away the tears.)

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:05 am
  • Beth Dulce

That was very moving Christine and I shed a few tears too! I hope the remembrance day raises even more awareness this year. With contributions like this it surely will… Beth xx

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm
  • Natacha

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:35 pm
  • De-

God, help us.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:29 am
  • Ryan

Moving tribute, thank you.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:29 pm
  • Sam Winter

Poignant is an understatement. Beautifully done, brings tears. Sadly, the statistic of around ‘600 since 1998′ is an error. The victims far exceed that number. TGEU’s TransMurder Project has documented that number in the last three years,, ,, since 2008. Sam in HongKong.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:01 pm
  • Christine Burns

Sam, I used the official TDOR spreadsheet as the basis for that figure, and for the names read out. The compilers concede the numbers may be an underestimate; however they have adhered to the principle of only listing those cases which can be checked through sources such as police or media reports.

I think that’s a sound approach, as it deals with the inevitable attack that numbers and details are made up, and that the problem is overstated.

Also, numbers for recent years cannot simply be extrapolated backwards in a linear fashion without evidence to support that assumption. Trans people’s visibility and apparent numbers have both increased markedly in recent years. It may be that violence figures track that. The fact is we simply don’t know how many deaths of this kind went undocumented in the years before people started shining a light on the phenomenon.

Whether it’s 600 or 6000 isn’t the issue though. All these deaths are conspicuously violent hate crimes. One would be too many.

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:12 am
  • Anna Booth

Thank you Christine, I have attended several TDOR occasions in Manchester and London. They never fail to bring me to tears. Once again thank you. Anna, manchester

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm
  • Keira

I am trying to organise something for TDOR through facebook, please check it out and promote it, the more we get involved the better http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=260459170652372

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:24 am
  • Christine Burns

Thanks for that information Keira. Let me see if I can fix that Facebook event link for you:

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:36 am
  • Teraina Hird

Untitled A poem for Transgender Remembrance

It’s not how I look, but the way that I feel that makes me different from you. Do not deny me for looking this way It’s just that I’m different from you. And do deny me for feeling this way Because I am different to you.

So, please do not judge me for what I am Because I am different to you It’s the way that I feel, deep down inside That makes me different to you

For I mean you no harm Nor to cause you upset As you may mean it to me Its because we are different You hate us so much And hate makes us blind Do you see?

For I do not hate you, as you would hate me My sisters and brothers too And I would not kill you, as you may kill me That’s the difference between me and you You killed my sisters and brothers too.

Copyright Teraina Eugenie Hird October 2011.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:22 am
  • PPinkFlamingo

I would have liked to share this to facebook or twitter :) . Well done.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm